Beagle Channel in the Patagonia

Beagle Channel in the Patagonia

October 13, 2013

"EN ESTA TARDE GRIS" A BEAUTIFUL ARGENTINE TANGO FROM THE 1940s




WELCOME TO THIS POST!


A LOVELY ROSE WITH RAIN DROPS!

 

Click to enlarge



Source: Pixabay, Public Domain 



GENERAL BACKGROUND



This lovely Tango was written in 1941 and therefore belongs to the Golden Age of the Classic Tango (1935 – 1955).


As such, it includes many of the characteristics of that Age: the use of the minor keys, a strong rhythm that doesn’t swamp the haunting melody, beautiful lyrics and a sad love story, filled with nostalgia and regret.


The composer is the famous Mariano Mores, and the lyrics were written by José María Contursi. Both of them are powerful names in the history of the Argentine Tango.


Mariano Mores was a pianist, composer and conductor of Tango orchestras. He studied classic piano theory and interpretation from a young age, a fact that undoubtedly helped me create some of his masterpieces.


He also took part in several musical films together with other well known names of the Spanish American productions of that period.


Mariano Mores created the modern Tango sextet: organ, piano, bandoneon, electric guitar, keyboard, drums and bass. 


The video included in this post is sung by José Sosa accompanied by the Orchestra of Leopoldo Federico.




AN INTRODUCTION TO THE LYRICS.





Click to enlarge




 Source: Pixabay, Public Domain



MY FREE TRANSLATION OF THE LYRICS OF “EN UNA TARDE GRIS” – “ON A GRAY AFTERNOON”




I want to cry so much on this grey afternoon!

The drumming of the rain speaks to me of you…

The remorse of knowing

That it’s my fault that I’ll never, my love,

Never see you again.

When I close my eyes I see you as if it was yesterday,

Trembling as you begged again for my love…

And today your voice comes back to me

On this grey afternoon!



Come

-sadly you said to me-,

In this loneliness

My soul cannot endure anymore…

Come,

And take pity on my pain,

I’m so tired of crying for you,

Suffering and waiting for you,

And talking with such loneliness

To my own heart.

Come,

Because I love you so,

If you don’t come today

I’ll drown in my tears…

No,

It’s not possible to live like this,

With this love nailed to me

Like a curse.



I never understood your despair,

I happily left on the wings of another love…

How lonely and sad I became

When I found I was so far away

And realized my deceitfulness.

When I close my eyes I see you as if it was yesterday,

Trembling as you begged again for my love…

And today it’s your voice that bleeds in me

On this grey afternoon!



Come

-sadly you said to me-,

In this loneliness

My soul cannot endure anymore…

Come,

And take pity on my pain,

I’m so tired of crying for you,

Suffering and waiting for you,

And talking with such loneliness

To my own heart.

Come,

Because I love you so,

If you don’t come today

I’ll drown in my tears…

No,

It’s not possible to live like this,

With this love nailed to me

Like a curse.




HERE IS THE VIDEO, SUNG BY JOSE SOSA!



It’s a lovely haunting melody, and the singer has a wonderfully powerful voice, so enjoy!







CLOSING WORDS.



So there you have it! Another beautiful melody from Spanish America!

I hope you enjoy it and I hope to see you on my next post!




SPANISH VERSION



(This Blog is bilingual)



Este bello Tango data de 1941 y por tanto pertenece a la Edad de Oro del Tango Clásico (1935 – 1955).


Como buen representante de este período, esta composición incluye numerosas características de esa Edad, a saber: el uso de tonos en llave menor, un compás fuerte que sin embargo no opaca la plañidera melodía, versos muy bellos que relatan una triste historia de amor, lleno de nostalgia y pesar.


El compositor es el famoso Mariano Mores, y los versos fueron escritos por José María Contursi. Ambos son nombres potentes en la historia del Tango Argentino.


Mariano Mores fue pianista, compositor y conductor de orquestas de Tango. 

Estudió teoría e interpretación del piano clásico desde una temprana edad, factor que indudablemente le ayudó en la creación de sus obras maestras.


También participó en varias películas musicales con otras conocidas figuras de las producciones Hispano Americanas de esa época.


Mariano Mores también creó el sexteto moderno relacionado con la interpretación del Tango: órgano, piano, bandoneón,  guitarra eléctrica, teclado, tambores y bajo.


El precioso video que se incluye más arriba en este post, es interpretado por la maravillosa voz de José Sosa con el acompañamiento de la Orquesta de Leopoldo Federico. 



LA LETRA DEL TANGO “EN ESTA TARDE GRIS”



¡Qué ganas de llorar en esta tarde gris!

En su repiquetear la lluvia habla de ti…

Remordimiento de saber

Que por mi culpa, nunca,

Vida, nunca te veré.

Mis ojos al cerrar te ven igual que ayer,

Temblando al implorar de nuevo mi querer…

¡Y hoy es tu voz que vuelve a mi

En esta tarde gris!



Ven

-triste  me decías –,

Que en esta soledad

No puede más el alma mía…

Ven,

Y apiádate de mi dolor,

Que estoy cansada de llorarte,

Sufrir y esperarte

Y hablar siempre a solas

Con mi corazón.

Ven,

Pues te quiero tanto,

Que si no vienes hoy

Voy a quedar ahogada en llanto…

No,

No puede ser que viva así,

Con este amor clavado en mí

Como una maldición.



No supe comprender tu desesperación

Y alegre me alejé en alas de otro amor…

¡Que solo y triste me encontré

Cuando me vi tan lejos

Y mi engaño comprobé!

Mis ojos al cerrar te ven igual que ayer,

Temblando, al implorar de nuevo mi querer…

¡Y hoy es tu voz que sangra en mí,

En esta tarde gris!



Ven

-triste  me decías –,

Que en esta soledad

No puede más el alma mía…

Ven,

Y apiádate de mi dolor,

Que estoy cansada de llorarte,

Sufrir y esperarte

Y hablar siempre a solas

Con mi corazón.

Ven,

Pues te quiero tanto,

Que si no vienes hoy

Voy a quedar ahogada en llanto…

No,

No puede ser que viva así,

Con este amor clavado en mí

Como una maldición.




PALABRAS FINALES



Espero que hayan disfrutado de esta bella canción, un clásico en la música del Cono Sur de la América Hispana.


A STORMY SKY!    ¡CIELO TORMENTOSO! 


Click to enlarge

 Source: Pixabay, Public Domain



I hope to see you on my next post!      Espero verlos en mi próximo post!




© 2013  joanveronica  (Joan Robertson)




I will be very happy to receive your comments! Just click the word “comments” lower down.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here! Thank you!