Beagle Channel in the Patagonia

Beagle Channel in the Patagonia

July 29, 2013

NOSTALGIAS - A CLASSIC ARGENTINE TANGO FROM THE 1930s.



WELCOME TO THIS POST!


A BEAUTIFUL RED ROSE, A SYMBOL OF THE PASSION OF THE TANGO




Click to enlarge


 Source: Pixabay, Public Domain



SOME PRELIMINARY WORDS.


I have already mentioned that the history of the Argentine Tango shows that this musical art form has evolved over various specific periods over time.

The Tango as we know it takes shape during the period known as Guardia Nueva that extends from 1925 to 1935, a period in which the tunes become more melodious, and there is an increase in the polyphony and in the orchestration. The emphasis also changes from “dancing” to “listening” and therefore the classic beat is slower and softer. The Tango Canción flourishes at that time.

The next period is the most famous of all: The Golden Age of Tango (1935 – 1955). Though still evolving, the Tango is now mature. All the elements are now happily integrated: the beat, the melody, the orchestration, the polyphony and the poetical lyrics. 

The two trends continue to flourish, the Tango Canción and the rhythmic, Traditional Tango that is basically a dance.


THE BANDONEON, AN EMBLEM OF THE ARGENTINE TANGO

Click to enlarge



 

Source: Pavel Krok, CC BY SA 2.0. Wikimedia Commons



THE FAMOUS TANGO CALLED “NOSTALGIAS”


This is a Golden Age Tango which is considered to be borderline, as its debut was in 1936. It is extremely well known and has been adapted to various forms the world over since its creation.

The words were written by Enrique Cadícamo and the music was composed by Juan Carlos Cobian specifically for the lyrics.

Taking into account that the lyrics were written first, it is obvious that the very beautiful passage at the end of the refrain was created intentionally to reflect the sentiment of the verses.

As the words refer to “the fall of the dead roses of my youth” the tune goes into a lengthy, descending cascade. The extraordinary feature is that this cascade is made up of short chromatic scales that actually go UP the keyboard as the whole tune comes DOWN the keyboard.

When I’ve played it on the piano, I have needed all my concentration to interpret this extraordinary passage successfully!


MY VERY FREE TRANSLATION OF THE LYRICS


(The scene is a bar)

1.
I want to drown my heart in drink to quench this mad love that is more pain than love.
That’s why I’m here, to erase former kisses with the kisses from other lips.
If her love was a “one day bloom”, what is the reason for my ever persistent and cruel concern?
I want to raise my glass for both of us, to forget my obduracy, but I just remember her all the more.

Refrain.

Nostalgia, to hear her wild laughter and to feel her breath next to my mouth, like a fire.
Anguish, to feel abandoned and to think that by her side another will soon…soon declare his love…
My comrade!
I don’t want to demean myself, nor beg, nor cry to her, nor tell her that I can no longer live…
In my solitude I will watch the fall of the dead roses of my youth.

2.
Wail, bandoneon, your grey tango, maybe you are also wounded by a sentimental love…
Cry, my puppet soul, alone and sad on this night, a black and starless night…
If drink brings consolation, here am I with my cares, to drown them once and for all…
I want to drown my heart in drink, then raise my glass to toast “the love that failed”…


A VERSION OF THIS TANGO SUNG BY EDMUNDO RIVERO

Here we have a video with this interpretation. Enjoy!





FINAL WORDS

 Through both the lyrics and the music, this extraordinary composition shows that the Tango is very much a production “of the people”.

What’s more, it has endured over time: the classic Tango is still out there!

  

GOLDEN LEAVES FOR A DYING PASSION



Click to enlarge

Source: Pixabay, Public Domain 


I hope you have enjoyed this post, and I’ll see you on the next one!


SPANISH VERSION


(This Blog is bilingual)


PALABRAS PRELIMINARES


Este post  refiere al famoso Tango “Nostalgias” con letra de Enrique Cadícamo y música de Juan Carlos Cobian

En cuanto a su estilo se le considera un ejemplo limítrofe entre el período de la Guardia Nueva  (1925 – 1935) y la Edad de Oro del Tango (1935 – 1955).


Es por tanto un Tango Canción que refleja muchas características del Tango Clásico o bailable.

A continuación transcribo los versos.


NOSTALGIAS

 
Quiero emborrachar mi corazón
Para apagar un loco amor
Que más que amor es un sufrir…
Y aquí vengo para eso,
A borrar antiguos besos
En los besos de otras bocas…
Si su amor fue “flor de un día”
¿Porqué causa es siempre mía
Esa cruel preocupación?
Quiero por los dos mi copa alzar
Para olvidar mi obstinación
Y más la vuelvo a recordar.

 
Refrán

Nostalgias
De escuchar su risa loca
Y sentir junto a mi boca
Como un fuego su respiración.
Angustia
De sentirme abandonado
Y pensar que otro a su lado
Pronto… pronto le hablará de amor…
¡Hermano!
Yo no quiero rebajarme,
Ni pedirle, ni llorarle,
Ni  decirle que no puedo más vivir…
Desde mi triste soledad veré caer
Las rosas muertas de mi juventud

2.
Gime, bandoneón, tu tango gris,
Quizá a ti te hiera igual
Algún amor sentimental…
Llora mi alma de fantoche
Sola y triste en esta noche,
Noche negra y sin estrellas…
Si las copas traen consuelo
Aquí estoy con mi desvelo
Para ahogarlos de una vez…
Quiero emborrachar mi corazón
Para después poder brindar
“por los fracasos del amor”…



PALABRAS FINALES


Después de escuchar la magistral interpretación de Edmundo Rivero, no queda otra cosa que afirmar que ¡el Tango Clásico está muy vivo!

Espero les haya gustado este post. 


How is your level of comprehension?    ¿Cómo está su nivel de comprensión?



© 2013  joanveronica  (Joan Robertson)



I will be very happy to receive your comments! Just click the word “comments” lower down.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here! Thank you!