Beagle Channel in the Patagonia

Beagle Channel in the Patagonia

August 18, 2013

THE BOLERO "VANIDAD" COMPOSED BY ARMANDO GONZALEZ MALBRAN



WELCOME TO THIS POST!

RED ROSES FOR MY READERS.

This is a romantic love song!



Click to enlarge

 Source: Muffet, CC BY 2.0. Flickr


ABOUT THE COMPOSER 


He was a Chilean pianist and composer, born in Valparaiso in 1912. He lived for a time in Peru, where he wrote many of the typical Peruvian “vals” tunes.

The foxtrot, the slow foxtrot and a very soft tango which ultimately became the “bolero” rhythm, all had a strong influence on his music.

He wrote several ballads in this style during the 1930s, one of which was the well known composition called “Vanidad” (Vanity) written sometime between 1935 and 1939.

Armando Gonzalez died of a lung disease in 1950, at a very early age.


VANIDAD, A FAVORITE IN SPANISH AMERICA TO THIS DAY.


“Vanidad” started life as a slow-fox, but later evolved into a Tango in the Argentinean version, and finally became better known as a bolero.

I have personally played this on my keyboard with a bolero rhythm, and also danced to it at parties during the 60s, a time when it was extremely popular in Chile.

To date, Vanidad has been recorded all over Spanish America, from Mexico to the Southern Cone, and sung and played by a variety of well known singers and orchestras. 

It remains an all time favorite throughout Spanish America.

I found a good version of this bolero-ballad, on YouTube, sung by Genaro Salinas. The video is included lower down.


ENGLISH LYRICS FOR “VANIDAD” – MY FREE TRANSLATION


We filled our path with thorns
We circled our love with sorrows
And then we blamed destiny
For our mistakes.

Vanity..
You caused me to lose
A love, vanity,
That I cannot forget.

Vanity,…
With your golden wings,
I thought I would laugh
But instead I’m crying

I closed my eyes,
I tore her from my life;
Yet today,
I would kiss her again.

Vanity,…
With your golden wings,
I thought I would laugh
But instead I’m crying



VANIDAD - SUNG BY GENARO SALINAS.






SPANISH VERSION


(This Blog is Bilingual)


El conocido bolero “Vanidad” fue compuesto por el músico chileno Armando Gonzalez Malbrán, entre 1935 y 1939.

Esta conocida balada nació como un “fox-lento”, luego evolucionó hacia el tango (versión deArgentina) y finalmente terminó difundiéndose como bolero.

La canción es muy conocida y muy querida en toda la América Hispana. Ha sido interpretada por diversos cantantes y orquestas muy famosas.

Hoy en día, su popularidad continúa siempre vigente, para deleite de las nuevas generaciones.

En este post incluyo mi traducción libre al inglés de esta hermosa canción, y a continuación transcribo los versos en español.


LETRA DE “VANIDAD”


Sembramos de espinas el camino,
Cercamos de penas el amor
Y luego culpamos al destino
De nuestro error

Vanidad…
Por tu culpa he perdido
Un amor, vanidad,
que no puedo olvidar.

Vanidad,
Con las alas doradas,
Yo pensaba reir…
Y  hoy me pongo a llorar.

Me cegué…
La arranqué de mi vida;
Pero hoy..
La volviera a besar…

Vanidad..
Con las alas doradas,
Yo pensaba reir..
Y hoy me pongo a llorar



PALABRAS FINALES


Más arriba se incluye un video con esta hermosa canción. A disfrutar!


More about similar topics in a future post.    Más sobre temas similares en un próximo post.


How is your level of comprehension?      ¿Cómo está su nivel de comprensión?



© 2013  joanveronica  (Joan Robertson)



I will be very happy to receive your comments! Just click the word “comments” lower down.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here! Thank you!